On the north side of the Bridgewater Town Common is a historical home which caught the attention of Lorna Green-Baker, one of our employees. The “Tory House” as it is commonly identified has an interesting multi-century history. Built in 1698, it was the home of a Tory sympathizer who was forced to leave town during the Revolutionary War Period.
In the mid-1800’s, it became a stop on the Underground Railroad assisting runaway slaves. In particular, William and Ellen Crafts stopped here on their way to Boston. The Crafts later published a story of their bold escape which became very popular with the public at that time.
The Tory House later became a rooming house for boarders from the nearby, Bridgewater Academy, now closed. There is a historical marker on the side of the now privately owned home.